Wednesday, July 7, 2010

The Uprising of Animals


Remember the book Animal Farm? In this somewhat disturbing, but memorable book, the animals get rid of their master, invade the farmhouse and try to live like humans. I am usually an animal lover, but have been viewing them a bit differently after several instances this summer.

In the last few weeks, I have had my head pecked by a crow (he wanted the apple I was eating while out walking with my family), chased around a lake by hissing geese and completely cornered by a pitbull that crossed the street to try to attack me during my 5k race with my daughter.

What is going on here? What kind of upraising is this? Aren't animals supposed to be somewhat wary of humans? I have rabbits in my bike path that barely glance up as I narrowly try to dart them and ground squirrels that won't stay out of my garden no matter how I fill their tunnels with sand (and more recently the turned on hose).

The pitbull instance really left me wondering and a bit unsettled. I have no idea how I didn't get bitten. He crossed his lawn and the street in a flash and stood beside me with low throttled growls. I didn't move, I was rooted to that spot. It was terrifying.

No comments: