Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Year End Reflections

Does it seem to you that each year passes more and more quickly? Something I always look forward to doing each December is writing in our yearly journal. There are so many things that happen throughout the year that I always want to remember, but don’t have the time to really write about them so I began doing the yearly highlights.

I have a Franklin Planner and each month I jot down a couple of highlights from that month. I have a special family journal where I recap each year according to month. For example in February I will list the girls birthday party themes, June always includes how Dave and I celebrated our anniversary, and December has how we spend Christmas. I have been filling out this journal for ten years and it only takes about ten minutes each year to copy over the items from my planner and into my journal. It has been so interesting to look back on this from when we were first married and how our priorities and how we spend our time has changed. Now that our children are older, they like hearing our yearly recap read aloud and inputing what they feel is important to include.

4 comments:

Kim said...

Sara,
What an AWESOME idea!! I am inspired to go get myself a little planner today...its never to late to start, right?? We do a journal for each of the girls, but I think this would be awesome for US!! Thanks for the great idea!
Kim

Sara said...

Thanks, Kim!
It has been amazing to see how priorities and interests have changed. I think this year would be a perfect time for you to start!
Sara

Deanna said...

That is a great idea Sara. I write letters to the girls at every birthday (or most of them anyway) :). Its difficult to recap in one letter the entire year though. I have mom mush brain so its really hard. Your idea sounds like a much better plan. I will try it out. Thanks!! You're so inspirational! Deanna

Sara said...

Thanks, Deanna! I know exactly what you mean by the mom mush brain. I suffer from that way too often!
See you soon!
Sara