Sunday, December 14, 2008

Start a tradition now!

I love holiday traditions! Traditions are so important for families in building unity and memories.They don’t have to be expensive, elaborately planned out or time consuming. Some of the best memories from my childhood stem from the same things we did every holiday. Many of them I have carried with me and now continue with my own children. With the ages of my children (six, four and 18 months), I know this is the time implement traditions as they are already alarming me with the things they remember from previous years. "Oh...you remember that happening??!"

Here are a couple of our favorites:
1. Yearly Ornaments: Each year my children get an ornament symbolizing something memorable from that year. Last year, Megan received a tiny nutcracker that related to her dancing in it that year. I put their names and year on the back. When they grow up and have their own family Christmas trees, I will give them back to them. Think of the stories and memories they will be able to tell their own children from these ornaments.

2. Dollar Store Shopping: I love this tradition as it is perfect for the ages of my young children. Dave and I take each of them to the Dollar General Store and they pick out an item for each person in our family. We do prepare them by talking about picking out gifts that the person would like instead of what they would like. Other then that we don’t intervene at all in their selections. It is heart warming to witness as Megan and Lucy are so cautious, deliberate and sometimes unnervingly slow in picking out the perfect presents for their family members.

  • Spaghetti Supper on Christmas Eve. This one is from my childhood. I don't know how it got started (maybe to carbo load for the gift opening frenzy) Naa...I don't think so. I think its because my mom has the perfect homemade spaghetti sauce that I am still trying to emulate to this day. This is tricky because it does not come from a jar.
  • Popcorn and Christmas Lights Tour: I know many families that do this. What is better then popping a batch of popcorn, packing cocoa, and heading out on the town in our good ol' mini van for some festive light displays.
I also love hearing about what other families are doing! Christmas is already coming too quickly...

No comments: