Sunday, December 21, 2008

Christmas Kindness

Last Friday we went out for dinner as a family. We had planned on going to Jolly Holiday Lights and knew we wanted to eat supper out beforehand to make it even more special. It ended up being perfect timing as it had been a snow day from school and even though the kids and I had spent a wonderful day baking Christmas cookies, by dinner I was getting a little antsy to get out of the house. We planned on going to Famous Dave's (I had a birthday coupon to use) and it is a favorite of Dave's.

We were seated at a center round table (something I am normally a little apprehensive of with 3 young children under 7), but the kids had been previously prepped with remembering their "restaurant manners" in the car so I was hoping for the best. It turned out to be one of our most fun dinners out.

Max sat (the entire dinner!) in his highchair and rotated between playing peek-a-boo with the other diners around us and actually eating his BBQ. The girls colored their children's menus, played tic-tac-toe and engaged in conversation. Dave and I actually sat back, relaxed, smiled and really enjoyed being out as a family.

As it came time to pay the bill, our waitress informed us that it had been taken care of by another table. It was from another family. Their children were grown and in college. "Cherish this time. Appreciate the moment. Life goes too fast" the couple told me. I try. I am making a conscious effort and I know.

3 comments:

Touch of Pink, House of Blue said...

What a great story! =)

Sara said...

thanks for letting me know you liked, it, Sarah.
Merry Christmas!

Coachhrd said...

Sara, that is an awesome. Obviously a reflection on what wonderful parenting your children have!