Sunday, December 21, 2008

Our first bread making experience


There is someone at our house that is more excited about our new bread maker than me. The day after I received our bread maker for my birthday, Lucy begged me to get it out. I was a little apprehensive as this new appliance seemed rather large, the direction book appeared lengthy and Lucy was so eager to begin. I needed time to read through the directions and figure it out and knew that would be difficult with her waiting, apron on and watching me expectantly.

I read quickly through the directions, picked a recipe that we had ingredients for and began the process. After putting in the ingredients we set the timer and she giggled as the display showed that the dough had to "rest" for an hour. Then as we heard the mixing begin, Lucy and I kept peeking in the bread maker to see what was happening with the dough.

Four hours later (as I later read the directions more carefully, I discovered there are "quick bake" options), the smell of baking bread wafted through the house. Lucy was beyond excited. I don't know if it was the magic that she dumped in five random ingredients and having bread created or that Mommy got the appliance to work on her own, but she began talking a mile a minute about starting a bread business.

Our first loaf came out a little doughy in the middle. After my later direction perusal, we learned that it is not okay to open the bread maker top several times to peek at the bread. Lucy didn't mind the doughy center- she wanted to talk business. Thus the creation of Lucy's Loaves began.

No comments: