Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Spending Freeze

I am tired of shopping. Tired of stores, the crowds, the cost. As a tribute to the new year, I am going to go on a Spending Freeze. As I type, the cupboards are full, meals tentatively planned out for the next three weeks (!), the gas tank is full and January is birthday free for our family.

I have given this some thought the final weeks of December and feel this is as good as time as any to try this experiment. We purchased 1/4 of a cow last month so we are good to go on meat. The kids are set on clothes (thanks to Christmas). I have a small surplus of personal items stocked away (thanks to Walgreens deals). Diapers have been restocked, lunch money and preschool tuition paid for in January,the bills are current, piano lessons and basketball league are covered for now.

This all sounds like its going to be a piece of cake, but I am going to be realistic about this. I know that we need milk and fresh veggies and fruit every week. I have a weekly lunch date with my grandparents, I have a hair cut already scheduled and we like to have fun and embrace unexpected plans and invitations. Life is too short and uncertain to live like hermits so I plan to allot myself $100 cash to carry me through however long. This will cover anything we haven't planned on. When it is gone it is gone. Paying in cash instead of using a debit card is something I have wanted to do for awhile so it will be interesting. Very interesting...

1 comment:

fluorometholone 0.1 drops said...

Thank you for the opportunity to work here. I will do my very best to exceed your expectations of my abilities.