Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Organic Eating

I love the idea (and I think most of us would agree) of being able to purchase chemical free food for our families. The truth is that organic food is expensive. There is a "dirty dozen" list of foods that includes the twelve best foods to buy organically if you can. These are the foods that are most likely to absorb all of the pesticides, chemicals and added hormones.

Here is a recap of the must-buy organic foods:
  • Apples
  • Cherries
  • Grapes, imported (Chili)
  • Nectarines
  • Peaches
  • Pears
  • Raspberries
  • Strawberries
  • Bell peppers
  • Celery
  • Potatoes
  • Spinach
  • Milk
  • Beef
  • Poultry
Do I buy every single one of these organically every time? No, of course not. I would like to, but I have to be practical in feeding a family of five. I have found little ways around it and do what I can. I try to buy fresh vegetables and fruits in season. Right now (in the Fall) we eat a lot of apples and have had fun visiting apple orchards as a family. We also love buying locally and visiting farmers markets. I always thoroughly wash all of the fruits and vegetables. Cold water will do the trick. No need for fancy soaps. I recently found this organic coupon site and plan on looking more into it.
I believe that organic food will go down in price as more people become of aware of the effect all of the excess chemicals have on our environment and our bodies. I believe there is a reason that there is so much more sickness, allergies, and cancers in the world...but that is a whole other topic.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sara,

I hope it's alright to post this, but I wanted to invite you to www.organicgrocerydeals.com which is another organic coupon forum. We have a database to help keep track of what coupons are available right now and where to find them. Come check it out if you're interested.

Sara said...

I checked it out and liked what I saw. Thanks for the heads up on it. I will be visiting often!

Anonymous said...

Hey,

Thanks for your great information...