Sunday, August 24, 2008

Uncharted Territory

My oldest daughter started first grade this week. Not only was it monumental for her, but also for me. Not that I would ever want to take away from her shining moment of being in school all day, but this was my moment of reflection and in a way...letting go. For six years I have been there for pretty much every need and momentous occasion. Yes, I worked part time and had my own interests and goings on, but I was with her the majority of the time. I was the sole person responding to her day to day needs, was there for each new interest, discovery, and accomplishment. Now the majority of her day will be spent under other people's guidance and influence. This is how it will be from here on out. She will not only be learning from other teachers, but also her peers. A whole new world has opened up for her. She is ready.

No comments: