Tuesday, August 19, 2008

American Girl: A New Discovery!


This summer, my daughters and I started to read the American Girl series. I had heard so many wonderful things about them and how they teach historical moments (immigrant migration, the depression, World War II...). I LOVE that about the books! They really do teach! We started with the Samantha bookos, which is about an orphan growing up in American times . My girls were hooked! They already loved stories from "long ago" after reading Little House on the Prairie Books. The American Girl series was the perfect follow up!

After the Samantha series ended we moved on to Kit Kittredge, which deals with the Great Depression. This was a perfect move (according to me-- with the corresponding movie that came out this summer! What a reward! Read all the books and then see the movie)!

My four year old, Lucy, can tell you how the Depression started because of the American Girl books. "People got worried about their money, the stopped going to stores to buy things, the store owners didn't have any customers so they had to close their stores..." It is amazing how she can relate and remember all of that from reading a fictional book!

We have now moved on to the Kirsten books. Next up...a trip to Chicago to visit the acclaimed American Girl Store on Michigan Avenue???

No comments: