Sunday, August 17, 2008

The Magic Pumpkin!


All of this from one little pumpkin seed? I am in amazement when I look at the mess of pumpkin vines in our backyard. My daughter, Megan, brought home a pumpkin seed from Kindergarten in the Spring. She went out to our garden (which never really reproduces anything besides weeds), planted the seed herself and promptly did what most six year old do...forgot about it. In June we noticed a lot of orange flowers and green leaves growing in our backyard. I assumed it was a new kind of weed (we really do not possess a green thumb in this family). A few weeks later we noticed some kind of green balls attached to this thing that looked like a vine. It kind of creeped me out because we really weren't sure what it was. I poked around the internet and saw that it resembled a watermelon or pumpkin vine. Somehow this pumpkin seed had survived without us watering it or really giving it any attention whatsoever.

Now that we knew what it was, the kids were so excited! We watched the vine spread under our fence (thank you neighbors for being understanding) and produce seven pumpkins! They started out green and are now turning a wonderful pumpkin orange. They are good size too and I know by Fall we will have wonderful jack-o-lanterns for my kids and the neighbors.

No comments: