Thursday, January 1, 2009

Day 1 Recap: Spending Freeze

Part of my celebration in ringing in the new year includes a "see how long I can go without spending money experiment." Read more about it here.

Since I usually a pretty timely person, I started this money freeze on December 31st. I did this for a couple of reasons. Since we have been on school break, I have pretty much had all three children with me for every shopping trip for the past week and a half. This has hindered quick little get in and get out stops. When I stopped at Hy-Vee on the 30th at 5 pm my decision to start a day early was sealed.

I stopped at the grocery store the day before New Year's Eve. With all 3 kiddos. To get one forgotten item for dinner that night. So in the midst of the crowds at the store and with the girls "helping" by pushing their individual carts and and with company coming for dinner at 5:30 that night, I pretty much decided then and there I was done shopping for awhile. Yes, I could have stockpiled more food or tried to anticipate more costs for the month, but this will just make my shopping freeze all the more interesting.

Day 1:
Took the kids swimming at Prairie Life (had a free pass that expired on the 31st!). Our normal Wed. lunch with the grandparents was canceled as they weren't feeling well. Of course, I was sorry that they weren't up to par, but since I buy our weekly lunch it was okay this time. Isn't that a terrible thought?! Made an apple pie to take over to friend's for New Year's Eve (already had ingredients on hand) and made it through the day fairly easily! Maybe this won't be too bad...;-)

No comments: