Thursday, January 8, 2009

Small steps to make things easier...Mealtime

Over the past few weeks we have implemented some slight changes in our family life that have helped things run a little more smoothly in our day to day routines and life.

Roadblock #1: Mealtime: Here is the scenario- I am in the kitchen trying to finish last minute preparations. I am asking the girls to help get dinner on the table. They want to help, they clamor and ask, "What else can I do?" I answer each meal with the same response, "get the milk, the napkins, set out the silverware, get Max's bib and spoon, what about ketchup?" If they weren't carrying something to the table then they were hopping around the kitchen like little rabbits over charcoal.

This happens before every single meal and frankly it drove me a little bonkers. Finally a few weeks after tiring of hearing myself sounding like a broken record, I came up with an idea.

For one time we set the table together and talked about everything we needed. We then took a picture of what a set dinner table looks like. The picture is posted on our fridge and they can check that instead of endlessly asking, "What else do we neeeeeeed?"

We then carried this idea and made over our entire chore chart which has worked really well.

No comments: