Friday, January 16, 2009

The Decline of Magazines...but not at this house!

What is with all of the free magazine offers lately? Is is because magazine sales are down? I think it may be that people are reading more online (and almost all magazines have good websites). I also think it is the advertisements that make the money for the magazines and not the subscriptions. As long as people are looking at the magazine, they are seeing the marketing from various companies. If magazines have to give it away for free, it is really not much dent in their profit.

Whatever the reason, I enjoy reading magazines. There is something about the ease and portability of them. I can keep them in the car for longer trips or read while waiting to pick up the kids from something. I am also old fashioned in the sense that I like to tear out a good idea to try later or recipe I find. My husband always laughs at me as I then file away all of my "good ideas" never to be seen again... or so he thinks. ;-).

I like having a hard copy of things and it is a lot more difficult to snuggle up to the laptop and read about the latest parenting or health ideas. I am concerned about the green issue and all of extra waste that excess printing causes, but I recycle them. We may have dropped the Des Moines Register, but magazines are here to stay for us for the time being.

No comments: