Sunday, July 12, 2009

The Return of Oregon Trail



Do you remember this old Apple computer game? Traveling back to the 1800's and pioneering your way across the unknown territory between Missouri and Oregon. The game involves naming others who will be traveling with you, buying supplies, packing up the covered wagon and heading out on uncharted territory.

Beware of crossing rivers, thieving Indians, cholera, and food rations running low. I was obsessed with this game when I was in elementary school and have so many fun memories of playing it hour after hour with my friend Lynn. We had it down to a science and would everything in our power to get ourselves to the Promised Land. Taking the bare minimum of supplies, giving small food rations and not stopping to look around were a few of our tactics. Come to think of it, that was very similar to how my family traveled when we were growing up. Get from point A to B as quickly as possible so we could get to our destination and begin our vacation.

I couldn't wait to introduce this game to my daughters this summer. Megan and Lucy are already very interested in pioneer life, Little House on the Prairie and "old fashioned times." I found a free version online, gathered them near the computer and was deeply impressed that they didn't balk at the simplistic graphics-after all this game is old and computer games have come a long way since then.

They loved it. They hooted with laughter when it showed up that we had gotten lost, Daddy had a broken leg and Max was experiencing "exhaustion." Then they became concerned when we lost a wagon wheel in the river, our food was running out, and no one could seem to master the arrow keys and space bar to hunt for food.

Did we make it to Oregon? Not this time. I will unveil all of my little tricks as time goes on, but for now--seeing Lucy and Megan enjoy the same game and experience their own little innocent addiction that I had 25 years ago, gives me great pleasure. Sharing ideas and memories of things things that I enjoyed as a kid is one of my favorite aspects of parenting.

No comments: