Wednesday, July 1, 2009

One Strike for 4th of July Fun

In honor of it being July 1 (already!), I decided to whip up some red, white and blue pancakes this AM for the kids. I was excited about the thought of them and planned it all out: blue food coloring in the mix, red strawberries and white powdered sugar on top. I imagined my children marveling at my cleverness upon wakening.

In theory, it sounded great. Reality: not so good. The only strawberries we had were frozen, which caused the pancakes to cook unevenly, (meaning burned on outside and gooey on the inside). The blue coloring just looked plain weird with the burn color so I hastily sprinkled the powdered sugar on top to cover it all up.

Viola! I plopped the pancakes in front of my children. Silence. Then bless Megan's heart. "I know what you want us to do, guess which state the pancake most looks like!" Its true, these cakes did not resemble regular silver dollar roundness.

I knew Megan was thinking about the state and capital placemats I had just given them (for fun, learning and inspiring dinner conversations). "You are exactly right, Megan! Guess which state your red, white and blue pancake most looks like. The states did get their independence on the 4th. Wasn't your mommy thinking?!"

Click here to see my 4th of July hit.

No comments: