Thursday, July 2, 2009

Flat Stanley craze enters Weis House

Have you heard of Flat Stanley? I admit, I never read the book until this week, but know a lot of teachers that do a really fun activity with the book. Its the story of a boy that gets flattened by a falling bulletin board. (Silly, I know, but stay with me). The fun twist is that Stanley can visit all sorts of places because he is able to be mailed around in an envelope (it's a lot cheaper then a plane or train ticket).

I read the book to the girls in about an hour (I needed a break from our current heavy series of Harry Potter). Megan and Lucy then made flat replicas out of paper of themselves. Next they each chose someone out of town to mail themselves to along with a little journal. Megan picked neighbors that moved to North Carolina and Lucy picked friends that live in Nevada (Iowa). The Flat Lucy and Flat Megan are to have all sorts of adventures in their new place that is journaled and then mailed back to us. This could be kept going on and on with an opportunity to learn about new places.

What to do in the meantime while we wait for our Stanley's to return? Back to Harry Potter...

No comments: