Tuesday, July 28, 2009

First Triathlon Ponderings, Musings and a Peanut Butter Sandwich: part 3

this post is part of small series. Click here to begin.

I had gotten separated from my group and that was ok. I needed little a quiet and reflection and was really taking the entire experience in. I headed over to the giant football field transition area where my bike was in place. Once again the atmosphere had shifted. Upbeat music played over the speakers. Announcements were being made. People were everywhere; getting bike tires topped off, setting up their transition area, standing in line at the porta potty-basically doing anything to keep your mind off what was really going to be happening very soon.

Time flew. Before I knew it, the transition area was closed. We were not allowed back in. Did I have my goggles? Swim cap? Time to eat that peanut butter sandwich! We had to be down on the beach at 5:30 and because of the wave start, my age group was scheduled to go until 6:20. I had time, but I didn’t. Suddenly it was all coming so fast. I wanted it over with, but I didn’t want it to start.

The national anthem played. The sun was peeking over the edge of Blue Heron Lake. The horn blared. It had started. There was no turning back.

click here to continue.

No comments: