Thursday, July 9, 2009

Easy Homemade Pretzels

sidenote:
(ahhhh....peace! The rain is pattering down. Megan is at camp, Max asleep and Lucy is playing with a friend. Sure laundry needs to be done, stacks of papers could be be sorted and I know there are garage sale preparations that are beckoning. That stuff will wait. I want to write).

This easy homemade pretzel recipie has only four ingredients, but tons of possibilities. The kids have done these several times with playdates and the variations for them keep growing.

1 pkg. yeast
1 1/2 c. warm water
1 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. sugar
4 c. flour

Mix yeast and warm water. Add salt and sugar. Add flour and knead until smooth. Make into desired shapes. The kids have a ball making the letters to their names. Lucy did a volcano and a t-rex head the other day.
Spray cookie sheet with Pam. Brush dough with beaten egg, sprinkle with coarse salt. Bake at 425 degrees for 12-15 minutes.

For a healthier option use whole wheat flour and spread or did with peanut butter (carbs + protein=perfect snack). For a not-as-healthy-but-still-very-tasty option would be to add cinnamon and sugar (you were right on, Shannon!). This dough has a good flavor to it and I am seeing mini pizzas in our future...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love this. My son and I make them a lot with pizza seasoning, peperoni and cheese. I seem to be able to mix anything into the dough as long as I reduce the oven temp and cook longer. Thank you!