Thursday, June 17, 2010

Hit and Misses

This post is a continuation. Click here to read from the start.

Hy-Vee Triathlon Weekend Hits

-We still got to do a triathlon. The Olympic course was shortened to a sprint due to severe weather, which actually did occur 10 minutes after me finishing.

-Hy-Vee officials and volunteers were amazing. They announced the race change 40 minutes before start time and the re-organization and restructuring that occurred was pretty impressive.

-I was proud of myself and the results. I had felt confident, strong and prepared.

Hy-VeeTriathlon Weekend Misses

-The kids triathlon was cancelled on Saturday. It was a bummer. It was understandable. It was extremely wet, the weather was extremely iffy, but it was an extreme pain. After all of the set-up and preparations, it was disappointing that nothing could be made up. We picked up the girls bikes on Saturday, they still got their medals and they spent the day picking at those very permeable tri tats.

-On Sunday morning with the announcement of the race change from the Olympic distance to the Sprint, half the people cheered as they weren't feeling prepared for the Olympic distance. The other half, like me, were disappointed. I was prepared. I had put in the time, training, and effort. I had practiced those darn hills 2-3 times a week for the past four months. I had gotten up at 4:30 AM two times a week so I could do long bikes on the open road. I'm not angry or resentful about the call. It was what had to happen, but I was prepared for that Olympic distance.

That was to be my Olympic race for the season, but am letting that go! As promised I am giving the rest of the summer and my energy back to my family. They deserve it and we have loads of adventure and fun planned.

Before that, we had to celebrate the culmination of the Hy-Vee Triathlon. click here to continue reading.

No comments: