Saturday, October 23, 2010

What to do with all that Halloween candy? Consume or Get Creative!

We are soon entering the biggest treat week of the year. Halloween. I love the rituals of parties and Trick or Treating, but the amount of candy the kids come home with is mountainous. I wish I had the willpower to keep it stashed away and bring out at opportune times, but that's not how it works for me. My willpower usually goes out the window around sweets. I know, I know...its for the kids...


...but so are these fun ideas of what to do with candy instead of consuming it!

1. Plan a visit from the Candy Fairy. After trick or treating, my kids pick out 12 of their favorites (they keep them and are free to eat them whenever they want). They leave the rest on the doorstep and voila, the next morning the candy fairy has left a much desired non consumable. This year it will be glittery purses for the girls for our big trip and a new Thomas train for Max.

2. Some dentist offices will pay $1 per pound for the candy. Great idea...it saves the kids' teeth and they make a little cash. We tried this last year and want to caution you a bit. The kids were so excited about this as they had big bags of candy. They left a little disappointed with their $2.00. Four pounds of candy seemed like so much!

3. Do some science tricks! We are especially excited about this one this year Check out candy experiments and see what you can do with chocolates and skittles.

No comments: