Sunday, October 3, 2010

A Tire Swing Sets it Right


I have been a little reflective this week and I think it was only a matter of timing. I was feeling the pull of a hundred different directions and struggling with what I really wanted for my family. You get one chance to raise your kids and they only have one childhood.

I am not implying I have it all figured out, but at least I am aware and trying to be proactive in my thinking and actions. Helping families feel more connected and maximizing time spent together is what I am passionate about.

The kids haven't really done much with our swing set for over a year now. It is one of those signs that childhood is fleeting. For the past two months, I had been on mission to find a tire swing. Not just any old tire, but one that would hold all three kids and allow plenty of room for bumper cars and some high flying swinging.

Papa came to the rescue with an old tractor tire from his job (thank goodness for small farming communities) and we picked it up last night. Dave (and Max!) spent two hours cutting chains, drilling holes and assembling the swing. The rest of the afternoon? Spent swinging away. Everyone.

The shrieks and squeals wafting in from the open windows, let me know there is still plenty of childhood left...for all of us.

No comments: