Monday, August 3, 2009

Weis Family Survives First Camping Trip: Part 1


What do you get when you cross three children seven and under (two of whom are scared of bugs and the third that wants to eat them), a wife that loves her bed and hot shower, zilch camping supplies, a husband who is afraid of starving to death and the great outdoors?

An over packed mini-van and a memorable camping trip that won't soon be forgotten is what we got.

Camping know-how is not in my blood. We didn't do this as a family growing up and my main experience stems from being a camp counselor at Camp Hantesa for a summer. I have vivid memories of being in charge of ten eight years olds, hungry for supper and having to make a complete meal over the fire each week (no hot dogs allowed). We were given three matches (newspaper and lighter fluid were also forbidden). If we couldn't get our fire going, it was PB&J for all that night. I made the same macaroni and cheese dinner over that fire each week. Hey-it was different kids each week. Did I mention that I also purchased a lighter that I secretly kept in my pocket for these Wednesday night camp outs? I really did not want to let these kids down and not have a camp out experience!

Enter ten years later: I don't want to let my kids down and not have a camp out experience!

click here for part 2

No comments: