Monday, June 29, 2009

Summer Reading Programs that Rock!

Ahh...summer memories of being a young girl, filling out my book log and weekly riding my bike to the Jefferson Public Library instead of hitting the swimming pool. I remember digging through the various prize bins based on how many minutes I had read this week and claiming my precious reward. Reading was something I always did anyway, but in the summer it was different. Earning prizes for already doing what I loved? Icing on the cake!

Summer reading programs are still around and in full force. We always do the West Des Moines library (Cub baseball tickets, Happy Joe's pizzas, Chick filet meals) and Clive Library (zoo passes, fun pool party @ the end), but this summer we found a few others that are worth checking out.

Half Price Books
has the simplest reading form of all (just record minutes read) and you can do it every week. Kids turn in their book log and can pick out any book ($3 value) in the store for their prize. My girls love this and have been building up their American Girl book collection.

Barnes and Noble: Fill out their reading log (available at their stores) and kids can pick out any new book of their choice. Word is that kids can do this at any location (thanks, Lisa!)

No comments: