Friday, June 26, 2009

My Mantra for Race Day


6 months of training.
50 (+) sore muscles
100 (+) times of stepping out of my comfort zone
180 early morning workouts before sunup.

Hundreds of hours spent swimming, biking, running and learning new things in preparation for the Hy-Vee Triathlon.

I am not focused on the time spent right now. In 36 hours it will be over. Time won't matter. What will matter is that I will have completed something that I never thought was in my life's plan. I feel fortunate that I am physically able to do something like this. So many people have disabilities and other handicaps that prevent them for undertaking something like this. I am healthy and appreciative.

I won't be the fastest out there and I won't be able to stop mechanical issues from happening with my bike. I will race my own race. A good friend reminded me to take it all in. To enjoy it. I only get my first triathlon once. I have no other times to compare it to. My family doesn't know the different between a stellar Olympic Triathlon time and a snail's pace. They will just be proud of me. I will be proud of me.

"Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally."

No comments: