Tuesday, February 3, 2009

No Whining Club...Want to Join?

I admit I was getting into a rut the last few weeks. I was tired of winter. Tired from the workout plans from triathlon training. Tired from day to day responsibilites and decisions.

I didn't want my tiredness to effect the kids and I felt like it was. I reminded myself that I chose these things in my life. I want to experience a triathlon. I like to be busy and we aren't leaving Iowa any time soon and winters are just a part of Iowa's charm.

We have instilled a "No Whining Club" at our house and you can join every day. It involves a poster on our basement door with the word "whining" and a slash through it. Next to that is a place where we can put the date and write our names at the end of each day that we don't whine. Those that are members from that day enjoy a small reward at the end of the day. Rewards have ranged from ice cream, staying up later, watching some of a movie, and playing a game. If only one person is a member of the club they get to pick their reward that they enjoy all on their own.

Lucy and Megan have done really well with this. They got such a kick out of last Sunday where they had a rough time and I came home from my tri workout and announced that I had whined. Of course, they wanted to hear all about the circumstances and I told them how we had been using these arm paddles in our swim workout. They were heavy and although they are supposed to help make us stronger in the water, my arms had felt like mush after using them 15 minutes. The coach then announced for everyone to do five more laps with paddles and I had whined about it. ;-) Daddy then made a big production out of being the only member of the No Whining Club for that day. He hummed happily as he signed his name on the poster. He popped popcorn and settled in on the couch for a movie....of his choice...all by himself. ;-)

Our club is here to stay for awhile. It does keep us all in check.

No comments: