Tuesday, September 21, 2010

6 Secrets of Kids that Rarely Get Sick


I took Max into the doctor last week. He had developed a little rash on his neck and arm a few days prior. I tried the usual over the counter remedies with no help in clearing it up and knew I needed to turn to a professional for help. It turned out to be poison ivy (That was a first for me and my kids), but my whole point was not about that.

My Point being: We had not been to the doctor in over-a-year. We just haven't been sick (knock on wood). My kindergartner and second grader last year did not have a sick day all school year. I'm not saying that I have super duper healthy resilient-to-all-ailments kids, but we just don't get sick that often.

I am not a neurotic germaphobic, but we do take some simple easy precautions that help tip the scale in our favor.

*Everyone washes their hands immediately from coming home

*I don't let the kids get too worn down. If they are tired from a busy weekend, getting them to bed early is the #1 priority over everything else

*Overall we eat pretty healthy and follow an 80/20 rule. I always make sure they eat a healthy breakfast (never understanding how parents can send their kids to school with pop tarts in their tummy to start the day). After school, they have their sports and activities so it is usually a "mini healthy supper" that they eat before we all eat together again around 7 pm.

This works for us. Its easy and not rocket science. Read here for some other easy ways to prevent sickness from creeping into your house. One point I don't agree on is giving my kids the flu shot, but that is a whole other post.

No comments: